June 7, 2008

"Let me see your smile one more time, before I turn you loose"





Ahh... Saigon, my lovely old whore... This city is, as I said yesterday, quite surrealistic... Theres as many "motos" as there's inhabitants in the whole kingdom of Denmark... The only traffic rule is; there is no rules, whatsoever!! They only stop for red.... sometimes...when that is, is still beyond me.. There's cars, bicycles, pedestrians and motos all in one big weaving carpet or rather they come in waves, big, huge and roaring from all side at once.. And the undertow can be quite scaring! I mean: after having sitting on this pearlywhite beach for a week, watching the oceanwaves.. this sea of polluting, honking and lethal one is.... well, like a tidal one of sorts!

In every doorway, back alley, front step: There's some old (or not) woman selling sodawater, lottery tickets, setting up a soup pot: called "Pho"... With the embers in an old brick to keep it hot! As a heritage from the french, there's all kind of "crepes" and "wafles" - done right there on the sidewalk...

In District 1, there's all these very elegant stores and very elegant ladies of the night - and day!!! And all the mixed " Nana couples" ( Old white man with a young Vietnamese girl) goes strolling down the by the mighty Mekong river... And somehow these old guys seem to forget that, the only point of real love' these young beautiful girls have for them, is their wallet! I somehow have a hard time, being really disgusted by this bizznizz relations... As long the girls are not too young, then I would call the cops and denounce "the whitey" at once!!

But this city is a perfect mistress, for a quick romance... And she has made love to both the French and then the Americans... But still has, somehow, been able to maintain her pride and her joy... Her fake smile and the moto drivers cry of " Madame, Madame... moto please?" ....

Everyone is apparently still interested in where you come from in the world...I even had a conversation about Michael Laudrup in Saigon airport...Yeah.... I'm leaving tomorrow, I already bought a bus ticket to Phnom Pen, Cambodia... But I am very tempted to stay another day, another year maybe even another life in this city of broken dreams and flirty smiles.....

No comments: